Friday, March 29, 2013

Death Penalty Controversy

An eye for an eye makes the whole World blind, or fair justice?  These are the two common groups of thinking when it comes to the death penalty in Texas.  The practice of capital punishment has been used in Texas since our beginning days as a state, and has been a topic of controversy for many years.  Texas has one of the highest death penalty rates in the United States, only coming in second to Virginia.  Because of our high rate of executions, this controversy is a common topic of discussion throughout our local government and its politicians.  Should Texas keep our death penalty laws, change them, or simply get rid of them all together?  That's a difficult answer to give cut-and-dry.

It's hard for me to have a single-sided opinion on this topic, but I do feel strongly about what I believe.  In one hand, I feel that no human being should be punished in such a final manner.  I want to have hope that the murderers, rapists, and others have good within them, and they deserve a chance to right their wrongs.  When a person is put to death because of a crime they committed, they usually don't have the opportunity to truly make amends for the deeds they have done.  I honestly could never be the judge of who dies, how it happens, and for what reasons.  On the other hand, the fiscally conservative part of me asks why we are already keeping so many criminals in our jails for life sentences, some multiple.  It doesn't make sense to me that we support the lifestyle that inmates receive when in jail;  three meals a day, a bed to sleep in, medicine and healthcare, and many more amenities.  Why are Texas judges giving life sentences, knowing that the persons entire life will be spent in jail?  It's extremely confusing to me how they decide one person gets lethal injection, and the other spends the rest of their days in what some would consider comfort. 

Overall, I have two competing mindsets on this issue and I'm not sure how to decide which direction to go.  My belief, as I stated before, is that I cannot be the final judge of life so ultimately I would like for Texas to get rid of the death penalty, and focus the attention on helping the victims involved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment